Thursday, November 14, 2013

Dorm #5: Kinsolving


Kinsolving is typically seen as a close-knit dorm because of it being all girls and not as large as other dorms, such as Jester. As I embarked on my research of this dorm, I wanted to see what, if anything, makes it different from the other dorms on campus. As soon as you walk into Kinsolving, you immediately see Kin’s Market which is the dorms inside market place for all types of things ranging from food to clothes. If you venture to the right, you end up running into the dining hall. Even though it’s not as big as J2 or JCL, it still holds it’s own. The dining hall is filled with many people in different large social circles. The dining hall is filled with chatter, however most of the conversations are limited to school related subjects such as “what did you get on that test” and “what did you think about today’s lecture”. Leaving Kin’s dining hall and exploring the rest of the dorm, I started to realize that Kinsolving was a bit more on the studious side of the spectrum. Even in the main lounge people could be seen busy at work even in the middle of the day! As I went on to discover the rest of the dorm, I realized that there was not very much activity going on. Many people were either in their dorms or studying in one of the many study lounges. I wanted to truly see if the dorm was as studious as it seem so I decided to interview freshman, Jasmine Robertson. This is what she had to say:

“Kinsolving is a nice, friendly, safe environment and there’s help on each floor. It is a place that many people come to study at because it is very quiet. Even though I choose to study in my room, there are plenty of study rooms and lounges to choose from and there’s always someone studying in them.”


At the conclusion of the interview, I was able to understand the full extent of Kinsolving and it’s subculture.  Kinsolving’s subculture is more academic oriented. It was evident that its values were geared towards grades and school instead of the social aspect of college.


Market



Front Desk



Lounge

No comments:

Post a Comment